As of this month, I’ve been fully-self employed as a maker for a whole decade!
It got me thinking – what are some of the things I wish I’d known about running a handmade biz when I got started?
Things that surprised me, challenges that I didn’t expect – and some of the things that made all the difference between failure and success over the long term.
That’s exactly what I’m sharing today – 10 things I wish I’d known when I started my handmade biz – Epheriell – back in 2008 (and yes, for those noticing the maths – I only went full-time in Jan 2010 :D).
You can listen to the episode via the podcast, or watch it via YouTube below!
Don't miss the 10 Days of Deals!!
I’m celebrating 10 years – a whole freaking decade! – of being a fully self-employed creative, and I’ve put together 10 days of deals for you!
Don’t miss out on these goodies that will help you grow your own handmade biz (and a few that will just help you add to your jewellery collection ;D)
Each deal is available for 24 hours only – get on the list so you don’t miss any…
Watch on YouTube…
Support the show
You can make a secure donation (of the amount of your choice) via the Paypal button below.
Each donation helps cover the cost of hosting, show-note writing, research, interviewing, recording, editing, etc. etc.
In short – it helps to cover the time and financial costs of putting together a free weekly show to help you grow your handmade business.
You can also:
Highlights from this episode:
- It gets easier (after the first few years)
- You need to find a niche
- Photos are everything (get the Create & Thrive Guide to Product Photography)
- Marketing is ever-evolving
- SEO is super-powerful (watch my video on Etsy SEO – in partnership with Etsy themselves!)
- That I would spend SO much time not-making
- That ideas and creative energy waxes and wanes
- You can’t compete on price (commodity vs. brand)
- That you need to find a new hobby
- Take the time to share your story and gratitude with your customers – it will pay off in so many ways
Want to start or overhaul an Etsy shop?
Download this FREE 2-page checklist now - it's part of my Handmade Business Toolkit for Makers.
Don't make those common Etsy mistakes: make sure your Etsy shop is the best it can be!
(P.S. It’s also packed full of links to additional resources on all aspects of Etsy shop setup.)