Have you been thinking about starting an Etsy shop?
More than ever, selling our creations online is becoming an attractive way to start a business and make extra income.
But it’s not as easy as you might think…
In today’s show, I outline a number of things you need to strongly consider if you’ve been contemplating starting an Etsy shop (or any other online shop for your handmade goods).
Is it going to be the right choice for you? Watch/listen and find out!
You can listen to this podcast below, or on your fave podcast app – or you can watch it on youtube!
Want to Open an Etsy shop?
Join me this October 2020 for Set Up Shop – my 30-day intensive course that will teach you all you need to know to set up an online shop for your handmade goods, and get it right – first time.
Over 1,000 makers have used the Set Up Shop system to open their Etsy shops!
Watch on YouTube…
Support the show
You can make a secure donation (of the amount of your choice) via the Paypal button below.
Each donation helps cover the cost of hosting, show-note writing, research, interviewing, recording, editing, etc. etc.
In short – it helps to cover the time and financial costs of putting together a free weekly show to help you grow your handmade business.
You can also:
Highlights from this episode:
- Are you really sure you want to sell what you make?
- It will change your relationship with your craft – you’ll need a new hobby!
- Do you have the time to do the work ‘on’ the business?
- In the Business of Handmade survey, we found that a large percentage of makers spend more time on non-making activities in their business as they did making activities.
- Are you going to make as much money as you THINK you are?
- Are you covering your time, materials and overheads in your pricing, with enough to have profit? If you’re not making a profit, what’s the point in having a business?
- Do you want to be where the buyers are?
- I’m a big believer in not putting all your eggs in one basket – i.e. you should aim to eventually have your own website independent of Etsy – BUT Etsy is where people go to buy handmade – if you’re not there, they can’t buy from you!
- Are you in it for the long haul?
- In our TBOM survey, we found that very few makers make more than $1000 in their first year in business. On average, it takes up to 3-5 years to create a full-time income from a handmade business. So – if that’s your goal are you ready to put in the time and the work to make it happen?
Want to start or overhaul an Etsy shop?
Download this FREE 2-page checklist now - it's part of my Handmade Business Toolkit for Makers.
Don't make those common Etsy mistakes: make sure your Etsy shop is the best it can be!
(P.S. It’s also packed full of links to additional resources on all aspects of Etsy shop setup.)