Coming up with the perfect name for your handmade business can be tricky.
There is a lot to consider – and it’s easy to make a blunder that you’ll regret down the line.
I’ve named at least 5 businesses, and I’ve learnt a bit more about the process every time.
Today, I wanted to share the 9 steps I recommend you go through when considering a name for your handmade business.
Whether you’re just starting out, starting a second business, or wanting to rebrand, I hope this helps you land on that ‘perfect’ name!
You can listen to this podcast below, or on your fave podcast app – or you can watch it on youtube!
Watch on YouTube…
Support the show
You can make a secure donation (of the amount of your choice) via the Paypal button below.
Each donation helps cover the cost of hosting, show-note writing, research, interviewing, recording, editing, etc. etc.
In short – it helps to cover the time and financial costs of putting together a free weekly show to help you grow your handmade business.
You can also:
Highlights from this episode:
Brainstorm possibilities, then use the following list to narrow them down:
- Don’t pick something too specific (or too boring).
- Don’t use weird spellings/initials if possible.
- Can you get the .com?
- Can you get all the social media handles?
- Is it a name someone is already using? (Etsy, business register – especially in your country, google) – you don’t want direct competition for search ranking.
- Don’t make it too hard to spell
- Say it out loud – how does it sound?
- Get feedback – what do 3-5 other people think?
- Does it feel right to you?
Want to start or overhaul an Etsy shop?
Download this FREE 2-page checklist now - it's part of my Handmade Business Toolkit for Makers.
Don't make those common Etsy mistakes: make sure your Etsy shop is the best it can be!
(P.S. It’s also packed full of links to additional resources on all aspects of Etsy shop setup.)