Did you grow up before the Internet existed?
I did. And boy, how has the world changed in the last 25 years?
One of the most profound shifts has come from our ability to bypass the gatekeepers – of knowledge, and of commerce – and directly interact with each other, the world over.
If you are around my age or older, you probably grew up thinking you’d get a ‘job’ when you grew up – but now, here you are, with the whole world at your fingertips, and realising that perhaps, instead, you want to build a business.
But is there still some part of you that believes that a ‘job’ is more secure than a business?
In this episode, I do my best to blow that myth up, and discuss how, in the world as it is, having a business is actually a way more secure and reliable way to make a living.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this – share in the comments below!
Quotes & Highlights:
- Once upon a time (not that long ago) we were limited by gatekeepers – of knowledge and commerce.
- Now, we can learn anything and connect with anyone directly – which has opened up a whole new world of possibility when it comes to business.
- Before the internet, we grew up thinking we had to get a job in order to make a living.
- However – now, with the immense shifts in culture and economy that the internet has brought, jobs are no longer so secure.
- Having your own business is – I believe – a much more financially and emotionally secure way to make a living.
- Referenced and quoted in this episode: Brainwashed by Seth Godin (free online manifesto).