There are so many selling platforms available to us that it can be daunting to figure out which ones to try.
Many of us get started on Etsy – and for good reason – but where else might you be tempted to look for an online sales platform?
In this episode we give you a behind-the-scenes look at 2 potential options – the venue store option of Amazon Handmade, and the stand-alone website option that is Shopify.
I chat with Linda Blume from Rustica Jewelry who has used both platforms after seeking to expand from her Etsy store, which she started in 2010. When she took her jewelry business full-time in 2015, she looked to expand her online platform – and she shares her experience with both AH and Shopify in this episode.
If you’ve ever considered either platform for your online shop, don’t miss this episode!
Quotes and highlights from this Episode:
- The day the store went live orders started streaming in.
- About a month in this slowed greatly and sales continued to decline as Amazon accepted new makers to the site.
- The fees were quite high per sale – upwards of 12% – and there is now a monthly fee, too.
- A huge barrier for Linda was communication. There was no direct way to contact customers and so it became super hard to sort out issues and custom requests.
- Set up was relatively easy but it was obvious you were part of Amazon rather than a stand alone brand.
- Shopify charges a monthly fee to use their platform – there are different levels.
- Analytics for Shopify are very helpful to track your customer’s habits.
- There is support there when you need it and more often than not it is quick to access.
- Shipping can be tricky to charge correctly when you pay for the lower priced subscription.
- There are some limitations to what you can do but you learn to work with it unless you can afford a higher monthly payment.
- Shopify also offer an import option which Linda used to transfer her items from Etsy which saves bucketloads of time setting up your store!
- You can find Linda on her website: Rustica Jewelry.
Please note there are affiliate links on this page.
Download or Listen to This Episode
(You can also subscribe to the podcast and listen to this episode on iTunes + Stitcher – just search ‘Create & Thrive’.)
Want to start or overhaul an Etsy shop?
Download this FREE 2-page checklist now - it's part of my Handmade Business Toolkit for Makers.
Don't make those common Etsy mistakes: make sure your Etsy shop is the best it can be!
(P.S. It’s also packed full of links to additional resources on all aspects of Etsy shop setup.)