Should you Diversify or Consolidate your Sales Venues?
If you’re in business selling your handmade goods… where and how are you selling them?
Are you selling online? Via markets? Consignment? Wholesale?
Is what you’re doing now working for you?
All businesses go through an evolution, and the way you sell your work is often a vital part of the puzzle that will make or break your business.
In this episode, I discuss whether you should be diversifying or consolidating your sales venues. And why.
The answer differs depending on the stage you are at in your business – not to mention your personality, product, business model, and your customer.
I also share my own journey through this very same process. I’ve tried it all – selling online in tons of venues; selling at markets; selling via ‘rental’ spaces in shops; consignment; wholesale…
I discuss why these days I only sell online, and only via a very small selection of venues.
Quotes and highlights from this Episode:
- There are pros and cons to both approaches.
- When you’re starting out, you need to try as many different sales venues as possible.
- Try online, retail, markets.
- You need to discover what avenue of selling suits your personality, your products, your business model, and your customer, best.
- As you grow your business, you need to get more focussed.
- Find the channel that works best for you and focus on that.
- Become an expert, and work out how to work that venue to its full advantage.
- I discovered that selling online works best for me, my personality, lifestyle, location, product and business model, and my customers.
- You may thrive selling via wholesale – or focusing on markets and shows.
- As you become established, you no longer have the time to experiment with so many sales venues and avenues – drill down to the very few that really work for you – but don’t ever put all your eggs in one basket – because if you rely on one avenue of sales, and that disappears, so does your business.
Download/Listen to this Episode
(You can also subscribe to the podcast and listen to this episode on iTunes + Stitcher – just search ‘Create & Thrive’.)