I’ve been running my own handmade business for almost 7 years now (my bizaversary is this month!), and over that time I have discovered some hard-won knowledge about how to make the most of your time, your creativity, and what you need to do to make your handmade business the best it can be.
Today, to celebrate the 25th episode of the Create & Thrive podcast, I’ve created an epic episode for you, where I outline 25 essential tips for running a handmade business.
I believe that becoming successful is all down to pacing yourself, to being optimistic yet realistic – dream big, but don’t over-extend yourself beyond what’s actually do-able.
I believe that you need to get clear on why you’re doing this – to get clear on your core values, and allow them to guide you in all the decisions that you make.
There is so much goodness in this episode – I really dig down into the principles that will help you to achieve success – whatever that means to you.
I have also put together a FREE downloadable e-book from this episode!
Enter your email below and click 'Yes Please!' to download your FREE copy of this ebook!
You have Successfully Subscribed!
This is available as part of my #HandmadeBusinessToolkit – which is packed full of free resources (ebooks, downloadables, and guides) that will help you grow a thriving handmade biz.
The Handmade Business Toolkit is available for absolutely FREE to my C&T email subscribers.
If you’re not already subscribed, just pop your email in the box above and click ‘subscribe’ to get access to the #HandmadeBusinessToolkit for absolutely free!
Download/Listen to this Episode
You can also subscribe to the podcast and listen to this episode on iTunes + Stitcher)
Quotes and highlights from this Episode:
- Turning your passion into your business sounds like a great idea but you can run the risk of killing the passion
- You need to spend quite a bit of time on the business side of things
- “Are you going to still love it in five years time?”
- You can get your stuff out there and then you can tweak it and alter it whenever you want
- “Until you get something out into the world, you’re not going to be getting any feedback.”
- Are your things what other people want to buy?
- You need to have a product for sale – not just a business idea
- “I want to help people find freedom in their own lives.”
- Get clear on your core values and put them out into the world
- You may want to create new things which aren’t saleable but you need to make sure you understand that it’s to indulge your creativity and not for your business
- Remember to be grateful for what you’re doing, especially when you have feelings of boredom or frustrating
- “Find ways to keep your love and passion burning for your business.”
- Moving from hobby to business means you might not feel like you can charge the right amount for your work
- “You might be stuck in an unrealistic price vortex with everyone around you undervaluing their work.”
- Charge what your time is worth
- “Don’t hide from working out your prices correctly.”
- It’s OK to ask for help
- Paying for workshops and other learning opportunities may be better than using up your time figuring it out yourself
- SOFTWARE: Xero: bookkeeping software which you pay by the month with lots of great features
- “Get friendly with your numbers since you want to track how you’re income is going.”
- If you are growing a business, it’s important to find some joy in the business side of things, not just the creative side.
- Sometimes you need to get help to make it work and you will earn a little less money for a certain period of time
- “Think about the stuff you really enjoy and spend your time there but I hope you can find enjoyment in the business side of things.”
- Getting organised will help you to grow your business with ease
- “Change and evolve but stick to your core values.”
- LINK: 4 Systems You Should Have in Place to Ensure You Never Lose a File or Email Again
- LINK: How to Create a Simple + Streamlined Order Processing System
- When opportunities come up, go back to your ‘why’
Want to start or overhaul an Etsy shop?
Download this FREE 2-page checklist now - it's part of my Handmade Business Toolkit for Makers.
Don't make those common Etsy mistakes: make sure your Etsy shop is the best it can be!
(P.S. It’s also packed full of links to additional resources on all aspects of Etsy shop setup.)