Have you ever asked yourself this question?
“Why should I pay for this e-courses when I can just Google this information for free?”
Let me start by saying: I am the queen of ‘Googling it’, and a huge amount of what I know about business, I have learned by figuring it out myself through trial and error.
It is absolutely a great, cheap, and legitimate way to learn. But it’s also a very slow way to learn!
Not only that – how can you know that you’ve found genuinely good advice? And how can you know you haven’t missed some vital piece of information that could save you time and money?
I think many people are under the misconception that when they purchase a course, they are just paying for the content. You aren’t. There are actually 4 things you’re paying for, and content is just one of them.
Listen in to this episode to find out just what those 4 things are. It will help you decide whether an e-course is worth your precious financial resources, or whether you’d be better off going it alone.
Quotes and highlights from this Episode:
- Googling it is great for solving one focused problem.
- It’s not the smartest way to learn.
- “You don’t know what you don’t know.”
- You’re not just buying the content of that course or the information that you’ll receive.
- You are paying for content, experience, saved time, expertise of the teacher.
- The content is always going to be available somewhere on the internet for free – not just all in one place, and perhaps not in a way that’s easy to absorb.
- It’s hard to know what you’re looking for.
- You can end up missing really crucial information which could make your life easier.
- When you consider doing an e-course, look at the experience you’ll be getting. Does it allow you to interact with your classmates? How will the content be delivered? Do you get actual feedback from your teacher – can you ask questions?
- “Choose a course that gives you the experience you want, as well as the content you need.”
- Imagine: instead of spending years stumbling around in dark caves, trying to find your way to the treasure hidden deep within the mountain, someone came along and gave you a light and a map.
- The question to ask yourself when you’re considering exchanging a little bit of your life for an e-course is – “Will the time I SAVE down the road outweigh the money I SPEND right now?”
- Your teacher must have the knowledge and experience to teach you what you need to know in a way that you will find enjoyable, challenging, and truly useful.
- You need to make sure that you really trust your teacher.
- Does what they teach come from a place of hard-won experience?
- “One small test for you to apply: if they tell you that achieving success will suddenly be guaranteed, fast, and/or easy if you just do their course – they’re lying.”
- Success is in the application.
- No-one can give you a magic formula for success.
- Success looks different to everyone, and can be reached in so many different ways.
- Time is life and when you exchange money for something, you’re exchanging it for time saved – a little bit of life. Make sure it’s worth it.
Download/Listen to this Episode
(You can also subscribe to the podcast and listen to this episode on iTunes + Stitcher – just search ‘Create & Thrive’.)
Want to start or overhaul an Etsy shop?
Download this FREE 2-page checklist now - it's part of my Handmade Business Toolkit for Makers.
Don't make those common Etsy mistakes: make sure your Etsy shop is the best it can be!
(P.S. It’s also packed full of links to additional resources on all aspects of Etsy shop setup.)