Sometimes, it feels like everyone is on Etsy.
But… can you have a successful handmade business if you aren’t?
I discuss this very question in this week’s episode.
I outline the pros and cons of Etsy, and do the same for having your own, independent, online store.
Download or listen to this episode.
Quotes and highlights from this episode:
- Why use Etsy? It is the premier online handmade marketplace, has a massive handmade product search engine, provides buyers with a sense of transaction secruity and will drive customers and revenue to you.
- If you have no experience with web design and management, start on Etsy. It makes setting things up simple.
- Etsy is a great learning space where to work on your photos, tags, captions and stock.
- However, “if you are serious about growing a part-time or fulltime business you should set up your own shop.”
- If you are doing large portions of marketing drive your business back to your own shop rather than Etsy.
- “The power of using Etsy is they should be driving the traffic for you – that’s the point!”
- Etsy is just one of many online marketplaces. Don’t forget Zibbet, Made It, DaWanda, and Not on the High Street.
- If you are in the growth phase of your business- get your work on to as many of these platforms as you can manage to drive business to your store.
- If you have a huge product range, pick a small sample of work and place that on a wider range of places.
- Building your own site allows for more control of look and feel and creates a sense of professionalism.
- Setting up a shop without Etsy is possible but does require more work.
- Focus upon social media, building a mailing list, selling wholesale and at markets to help build your audience.
Do you want to learn how to set up your own online craft shop and get it right, first time?
Want access to a proven system that over 1,000 makers have used to set up a stellar online shop?
Check out my flagship course – Set Up Shop