We dream of quitting our day jobs to follow our creative passions.
We chase the idea of being in charge of our own day to day and the flexibility of working for ourself.
It’s so easy to get caught up in trying to do so well while still learning the aspects of running a creative business as we go, that it’s easy to skim over the top of all of the achievements you HAVE made because you keep looking towards your larger goal.
We often forget to stop, look back, and see how far we have come. It is so important to reward yourself as it creates a positive feeling towards a job well done instead of a burnt out, restless night before getting back into it the next day with a ‘here we go again’ approach.
You know the feeling, that little pang of pride, that sense of achievement you get?
As soon as you feel that feeling you need to celebrate it! Even if it is just a small success. All successes are a step in the right direction and all of them are important.
You are your own boss when you run a creative business. You have no one to pat you on the back, give you an early minute or simply say ‘thank you’.
Did you make the local paper? Share wine with friends.
Did you secure a custom order? Spend an afternoon outdoors breathing in fresh air and light.
Did you finish a project that has been lingering? Buy yourself a small gift. A candle, a magazine or some new music.
It really doesn’t matter what your reward is. We are all so different and we all find joy in different places. It could be a glass of good wine, an afternoon reading in the sunshine, a trip to the beach or an early night after a long soak in the tub.
It doesn’t have to be expensive and it doesn’t have to be time consuming. It just needs to feel good, and allow you to take a moment to say ‘well done’ to yourself.
Here are a few great, pampering ways to enjoy your creative biz journey even more by really celebrating every milestone you reach.
1. Spend the afternoon reading a great book.
2. Have a long soak in the tub.
3. Take a slow walk to enjoy the outdoors.
4. Have a glass of wine (or two!)
5. Share the joy by having a good chat with a great friend.
The in-between successes
1. Buy yourself a new candle.
2. Go for a mani, pedi, or massage.
3. Take a day off and get some salty sea air.
4. Drink some champagne, the real stuff!
5. Enjoy a picnic with friends or family.
1. Book a weekend away somewhere relaxing – or maybe go on a yoga or mediation retreat?
2. Go to the best restaurant in your city.
3. Start planning (or booking!) that big holiday you have been thinking about.
4. Do something new and exciting, go on an adventure.
5. Visit your hairdresser and enjoy some retail therapy.
You need to acknowledge a job well done, reward yourself and celebrate even the smallest success in order to create the positive reinforcement required to keep yourself motivated and inspired.