Creating that separation between work and home is already hard enough for the average person.
Finding that space is even harder for us entrepreneurs.
Admittedly, I have been guilty (okay, sometimes still am!) of letting the pendulum swing in favor of work. Thankfully, there are a few tricks that help me to keep that tendency in check.
One change I’ve implemented that has helped is creating, and sticking to, a morning routine.
Your current routine may look something like this: wake up, grab smart phone, check emails, scroll through social media updates you missed while sleeping.
But where are YOU in that wake up call?
From that first moment in the day, you are catering to others. Put aside business (and hey, that includes your iPhone!) and allow yourself to transition into work at a more emotionally-appeasing pace.
Here’s a sneak peek into how I begin my days:
- Alarm clock. No snooze! No phone!
- By having an alarm clock, I’m avoiding the temptation of grabbing my phone. I also NEVER hit snooze. Let’s be honest, 15 minutes extra does not create any sort of satisfaction.
- Mini-Yoga Session.
- Our bodies deserve to be treated nicely. And what’s nicer than a nice series of stretches after a good night’s sleep?
- Warm lemon tea and a Gratitude Journal.
- Lemon and water have a magic energizing effect. I am also a big proponent in everyone keeping a gratitude journal. Start your day with some serious positivity.
- 20 minutes of Reading.
- This is my favourite part of the morning. Your mind is clear, it’s still early and quiet, and it’s all for you. I like to read a motivational book for these twenty minutes. Currently reading: A New Earth (again).
- 10 minutes of meditation.
- Lie down. Close eyes. Breathe. Okay, we all know that meditation is not as easy as that! But I do find that in these morning hours, especially after warm tea and a round of gratitude, I am in the best possible mindset to meditate. Practicing focused presence for a short period each day will help you handle whatever comes at you.
- Shower and Get Dressed!
- Now this is an important one! I feel it’s important to include as part of your routine. Too often as entrepreneurs who work from home, we grow comfortable. And by comfortable, I do mean quite literally as well. Sweatpants and oversize shirts. Take yourself seriously. And dress to impress, even if it is just impressing yourself. You’ll also do better work if you feel good about the way you look.
Of course, your routine can and should vary!
Find something that works for you.
But do remember, in order for it to be effective, you must stick to it everyday. Preferably at, or close to, the same time everyday.
And don’t worry, I won’t tell if your sweatpants do make an occasional appearance…
Now I’m curious, what things will you add to your morning routine?